Dale Folwell shifted to a career in public service in 2004 after decades of experience as a highly successful investor and financial consultant.
His experience in governance and public service includes his two terms as Treasurer of North Carolina, serving as the Assistant Secretary of Commerce, two years as Speaker Pro Tempore of the North Carolina House of Representatives, four terms as Representative to the NC House, and eight years on the WSFC School Board. These roles and the feats he accomplished within his time in each position have uniquely prepared him to lead the State of North Carolina to a sustainable, fiscally responsive future.
Dale has spent many hours volunteering his time helping others and working with not-for-profits and community driven initiatives. He is known across the state as an intelligent person with a big heart and an intense sense of integrity.
A man of his word, Dale has a proven track record of working diligently to identify problems and provide solutions. Dale's career achievements and legislative track record clearly demonstrate the traits that North Carolinians say they want in their North Carolina leadership and in particular the role of Governor.
A conservative-minded individual who consistently finds common sense solutions.
A leader who is committed to putting North Carolinians first.
A strong legislative track record working on policies with both major political parties.
An ability to clearly identify and provide solutions for intellectual and policy risks that are necessary to fix North Carolina.
Dale’s record is unmatched in his ability to get meaningful legislation passed. His entire career has been focused on doing the right thing for his family, his clients, his community, and the State of North Carolina. Like the vast majority of North Carolinians, he comes from a modest background. When reflecting on his childhood, Dale often remarks, "I was poor in resource, but rich in opportunity."
Recent Accomplishments as Treasurer of North Carolina
- Maintaining NC’s triple “AAA” credit rating, the highest rating possible. NC is 1 of only 13 states with this rating. Reducing state General Obligation (GO) debt by 60% over 8 years.
- State pension plan is at a record $115 billion. Inherited a pension plan valued at $90 million in 2017 and have paid out over $50 billion in gross benefits since.
- Cutting Wall Street fees paid by NC taxpayers for a projected savings of over $650 million over seven years.
- Maintaining the NC Retirement Systems’ status as one of the best-funded pension funds in the U.S. Recently designated as the most efficient plan in North America.
- Returns on investment surpassed statutory benchmarks for five years.
- Moving $15.2 billion in passive index funds under in-house management as a means of reducing fees while maintaining performance as measured by the Russell Top 200 & Mid Cap index strategies.
- Freezing State Health Plan family premiums for the last seven years without dipping into reserves or increasing co-pays and deductibles.
- Raising awareness about the lack of transparency in the health care system by proposing bold reforms to reduce costs and make pricing information available to consumers.
- Saving the State Health Plan $1 billion by increasing membership in the renegotiated Humana Medicare Advantage Plans.
- Leading successful effort to establish the Unfunded Liability Solvency Reserve, a fund that will help address the state’s $34 billion in unfunded pension and healthcare liabilities.
- Increasing transparency and efficiency as the N.C. Department of State Treasurer. Holds monthly Ask Me Anything teleconferences with reporters to answer any and all questions. We also focus on answering phone calls from citizens.